A Culture of Death







image


For this blog post, we are going to be looking at a piece called A Culture of Death. This painting was originally painted by a German artist by the name of Berndt Notke in the year 1463. Since then this painting had been restored and recreated a number of times. This painting is about the Dance of Death. It represents a portion of this dance. The definition of The Dance of Death is a medieval allegorical representation in which a personified Death leads people to the grave, designed to emphasize the equality of all before death. The Dance of Death can be expressed in poetry, music, and visual arts. The Dance of Death began in the 13th century, but we believe gained its momentum in the 14th century. You will notice at the bottom of the painting inscriptions. Each inscription is a living character addressing a skeletal figure. Then the skeletal figure will respond. This is the exchange between the empress, who is shown in a red dress and complex headgear, and Death.


I know, Death means me! I was never terrified so greatly! I thought he was not in his right mind, after all, I am young and also an empress. I thought I had a lot of power; I had not thought of him or that anybody could do something against me. Oh, let me live on, this I implore you!


And then Death replies:


Empress, highly presumptuous, I think, you have forgotten me. Fall in! It is now time. You thought I should let you off? No way! And were you ever so much, you must participate in this play, and you others, everybody — Hold on! Follow me, Mr. Cardinal!


The exchanged between the empress and Death is about how the empress doesn't believe is it time, but Death is saying you forgot about me. I say when it is time. They believed that the dead rose at night to dance over the graves. They would try to get them to join the dance, and that is when these exchanges would occur.

Comments